- The best bookshelf speakers under $1000 by Sound & Image Awards 2017
- The awesome bass is rich, deep and musical
- WINNER OF THE 2017 LOUDSPEAKER OF THE YEAR
- The two-way Merlins use Richter’s top-line wide-dispersion soft-dome tweeters and their newly developed five-inch mid/bass driver.
- Richter’s Merlin Series V speakers turn your bookshelves or sideboard into a concert stage with amazing, room-filling sound.
- But the real secret is in the cabinets, whose crossover filter design and cabinet noise reduction techniques culminate in a big, natural dynamic sound.
The design brief for the Richter ‘bookshelves’ was to ensure a high degree of musicality aka listening engagement. This engagement is associated with timing, coherence and ‘foot tapping’. In other words, they have to ‘haul you into the music’!
In a sense, they also have to play the role of sonic illusionists demonstrating a big, natural, dynamic sound that belies their size and price.
This is always a challenge but it’s also the fun part. This is where driver, crossover filter design and cabinet noise reduction techniques culminate in the final ‘musical sonic illusion’.
We feel the Richter Merlin / Mentor fulfils the Richter design philosophy of listening engagement expressed in the form of ‘musicality’. From the top: The soft-dome neodymium tweeters provide wide dispersion, producing a lively and spacious sound stage with smooth musicality, and a response extending well beyond human hearing.
The highly efficient 5-inch mid/bass drivers harness composite cones combining the natural acoustic finesse of paper with the strength of modern carbon- fibre technology. This produces ideal damping characteristics plus the coherence and timing essential to draw you into the music.
The awesome bass is rich, deep and musical.
New crossovers were painstakingly designed with feedback from a large team of audio specialists across Australia to produce emotional vocals, an astonishingly vivid sound stage and a smooth blending of frequencies. The highly stable off-axis response means the Legends maintain realism in a wide spectrum of listening environments – because everyone’s listening room is different.
The cabinets have been completely redesigned using non-parallel panels to reduce standing waves, and the comprehensive bracing is positioned to minimise harmonics. Double thickness rear and front baffles and new high density damping makes these the most neutral and musical cabinets we have ever produced.
Do yourself a favour, just listen!
- Speaker Type Vented 2-way Bookshelf
- Impedance 6 Ohms
- Frequency Response 55 Hz–25 KHz
- Sensitivity 87 (dB/W/M)
- Bass / Mid 105 mm (EPD*) sealed composite paper/fibre cone, inverted cap.
- Tweeter 25mm soft dome, neodymium magnet.
- Enclosure Bass reflex
- Rec. Amplifier Power Home Theatre 50–150, Two-channel 15–150 WRMS
- Dimensions 320H x 230D X 180W
- Connector Dual Gold Plated Binding Posts (bi-wire capable)
- Available Finishes Jarrah / Black Oak
- Weight 6 KG each speaker
- Mounting choices free-standing; 1/4” threaded insert for wall
*Effective piston diameter (EPD)